Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Don't Wake the Baby!!

I was standing like a statue in a dark corner of my son's bedroom this afternoon contemplating my accomplishment. Before me was a pack n play containing the most active 11 month old child I ever met and she was sucking her tiny thumb while drifting back to sleep. This precious little angel can go hours on end without being still and never sleeps more than an hour and half at nap time. It has been 1 hour and 15 minutes since I first put her down to sleep. I am silently begging for another 45 minutes, please, please, please. My other two daycare babies will sleep endlessly. I am serious, they will sleep all day if I let them. But then the mommies would be up all night and I might actually find death threats in the mailbox, yikes!

However, today at the one hour mark I heard some fussing and went to see which child it was, although I already had a pretty good premonition it was the sweet angel baby. I went in the room where she sleeps (by herself so not to wake the others) and gently laid her back down and patted her tiny little back and by some miracle of GOD she didn't fight it. Then I slowly, ever so slowly, backed away from the playpen and waited to see if she would notice. Thank you Lord, she didn't move. After standing there in the dark for a good 3-5 minutes, I tip toed out the door, all the time waiting for the inevitable wailing to start. Nothing, pure silence, which in my house is rare. How wonderful.

I keep thinking about all the funny things we do to get our kids to sleep and the torture we put our own bodies through to sneak so stealthily out of their room. Sometimes we even crawl on our hands and knees so as not to be noticed. Just so to obtain a few more minutes of sweet, serene, silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog